In honor of the LGBT youth we've lost to suicide, GLAAD is orchestrating a "Spirit Day" scheduled for tomorrow (October 20th, 2010). Like many social media campaigns, you can participate in a number of ways:
1. Wear purple tomorrow, signifying your support
2. Post a status update via Twitter or Facebook
3. Turn your profile picture purple
4. Share these numbers with any LGBT youth in need of immediate help: The Trevor Project's 24/7 Lifeline at 866-U-TREVOR or the National Suicide Prevent Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
5. Check out our community action kit and documentary titled Ugly Ducklings, which speaks directly to the harassment and bullying experienced every day by gay, lesbian, and transgender teens.
Finally, watch Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in her address to the LGBT community on October 19th, 2010 (below). In this video, Clinton calls Americans to question their own bigotries and prejudices. She even credits the growth of this country to our increasing acceptance of marginalized groups. Such wise words from a national leader!